Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Comics: 30 Days of Night (-/****)

Title: 30 Days of Night
Writer: Steve Niles
Artist: Ben Templesmith

This one's gonna be short: I got through about two dozen pages of 30 Days before I called it quits. It was well-written, the story concept was awesome -- I have a not-so-secret fondness for stories in which ancient myth and modern reality collide, and authors find new ways to imagine how creatures like vampires might exist in the world -- but I could just not get into the art. Templesmith has a very unique, abstract style that also put me off Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse; while I appreciate the attempt at something other than the typical, I felt supremely distanced from the sketchy, blurred representations of people as they smushed and oozed their way through the wash of their snowy environments.

Ah, well, I tried. Sending it back and moving on.

Listening to: NIN, "Closer"
Playing: My Chemical Romance, "I'm Not Okay"
Reading: Runaways

No comments:

Post a Comment